Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My top tech tools for 2012... part 2

Last week, I started my review of my top tech tools for 2012.  There are so many tools out there, but some are much better than others.  Some are more practical for my purposes that others as well. My opinions are just that and you may not agree.  I am sure there are tools that work better for you than for me. Keep that in mind.

One Note via skydrive or office suite.  I never realized the full potential of one note until a teacher asked me to find a way for her to store some curriculum she bought.  I investigated places to save files, add files, etc.  Evernote is great, but you need to pay to get more space.  One note, on the other hand is part of our office suite already.  I experimented with my classes taught the kids how to use it and even they are hooked.  I have one student who is using it for a research paper.  She super organized herself and feels better about the end result.  Who couldn't appreciate it.  The fact that whatever you do can sync to the skydrive and that you can use any type of device to do it makes it even better.

Dropbox.  I am a real newbie to dropbox, and I have no idea why I waited so long to use it.  What a time saver and a lifesaver.  I made all of my students download it and create accounts through me.  I got free space, they put files there it's a win-win. I have shown it to a few of our teachers and some of them are now using it to share videos with their students for their flipped classes.  They put them in, leave them until the unit is over and pull them out.  Less work, less excuses, what's not to love?  Our Science teacher is using it for videos.  No excuses for missing work.

Google Drive (formerly docs) with Flubaroo. What can I say?  Make a form, write a test, after kids take it, Flubaroo grades it for you.  Of course it has to be a multiple choice to be graded, but think of the time saved.  I have been using it for quick assessments a lot lately and I couldn't be happier.  I also use it often for quick polls, exit slips and entrance slips.  It doesn't take much to create anything and they last forever! I have made a lot of surveys for the media center.

Thanks for checking on my blog.  This has been an interesting journey for me and my new years resolution is to continue it.  Because of Final exams, holidays and such, I will be taking a break from blogging.  My next post will  come out Tuesday January 8.  Not sure what I will write about, but I will think of something.  Have  happy holidays!




2 comments:

  1. Hi! Does the frequency of updating your domain depend on something or you compose articles when you have a special mood or spare time for that? Thanks a bunch in advance for your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal is to post two things a week. Our school asks us to do a professional development plan and my goal this year is to inform people (staff, students, etc) about web 2.0 tools. One of my means was to blog. I try to write ahead but sometimes time isn't good to me and I get behind. I have been trying to spend a little time in the afternoon when my aid is in the library to research and things. Then, I try to take the tools to my students too. Thanks for your question.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will not appear immediately. All content is monitored prior to submission.