Friday, January 18, 2013

Sharing what you find with others (visually) part 2

In my last post I talked about curating materials and sites that will auto curate for you.  I promised I would do something that visually curated next.  I think some people benefit from the visual aspect of curation.  I know I like seeing a graphic that relates to the article because I am an incredibly visual person. There are a few places I have found that visualize your bookmarks.  I don't know if I would necessarily call all of them curation, but I believe anytime you organize links and articles into a format that people can refer to, you are curating them.

Pinterest:  Can't go wrong here.  Pinning is easy as 1.2.3.  Find the website, copy the link and Pinterest searches the site for images that relate.  You select one, write a little information about it and voilà, all set.  I like the fact that you can make as many boards as you wish, follow other people like you can on twitter and be able to go back later and clean-up what you placed.  It helps me a lot experiment with new things, refer to articles from a while back, etc.  I am pleased with how it works.



educlipper:  A lot like pinterest, educlipper lets you "clip" sites.  There is a bookmarklet you can add to your browser and as you check out a site you can click it and it posts it to your educlipper clipboard.  When you first log in, it is set up a lot like pinterest where you see other people's pins/ clips.  I like this because it is very educationally based.  You aren't going to see recipes and exercise information, you are going to see topics that are educationally based.

Pearltrees:  Pearltrees is a curation site, but it is a little different.  I am not sure I would say it is incredibly visual except for the fact that it looks like a graphic organizer.  You create a board per se and add pearls.  you can branch out from there to other things that relate. One neat thing about this is the collaboration capabilities.  You can take other people's pearls as well as join them and add to their boards.  It is pretty functional and you can develop organizers that are pretty specific to your needs.  There is also an app for the iPad.

Overall, becoming a curator is something I am glad I considered.  I think organizing for others as well as myself will help my tech knowledge grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately. All content is monitored prior to submission.