Friday, August 17, 2012

Choosing a QR code generator

Let's face it, there are dozens of sites out there guaranteeing the user a good QR code, but how on earth does one decide what to use and where to get it?  I have spent some time looking over a few options and have generated my own small list of some I don't mind using and they are free, which is the key.  I have found so many generators that I decided to do a few today and come back in a few weeks with another part 2 post with more.

Google shortner If you shorten a link with this site, you can view analytics and see a QR code immediately. It can be cut and pasted right into your document. It's convenient to use, especially if you want to keep your links and your QR codes together.   The program also allows you to track hits and visits from the code.

I-Nigma is the code generator I prefer to use the most.  I like it because you can actually label the code with a caption before you cut and paste it.  I use it when I make a lot of codes at one time for labels or on a specific document.  It helps me organize.   You can't keep track of the analytics like Goog.l shortner but, it gives you that caption and to me that is huge. I make so many group QR codes that the caption saves me time.

Kaywa is another generator that can be used free (or with a fee).  You log into the account, input the information and voila, you have a QR code to copy and paste into your document. It allows you to generate a free code or a safe code (with a paid subscription).  One thing I like about this program is the embed code it makes for you to put on your website or blog.

If you are going to be using QR codes, there is one thing I can't stress enough: don't forget to shorten your URL.  The codes look more jumbled if the address you are using is long.  Codes are cleaner if you use a short code.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will not appear immediately. All content is monitored prior to submission.